Blogged by Ujihisa. Standard methods of programming and thoughts including Clojure, Vim, LLVM, Haskell, Ruby and Mathematics written by a Japanese programmer. github/ujihisa

Friday, December 18, 2009

RubyConf 2009 Was Great

I had been staying in Burlingame, California to attend RubyConf 2009 and JRubyConf 2009.

rooms matz keynote breakfast aisle people by tmaedax Matz eatz breakfast alone

I made two presentations there in English.

"Hacking parse.y"

First, I made 45 minutes presentation in English there.

I talked about the parser part of MRI (Matz Ruby Implementation) with demonstrations including adding new syntaxes.

(I wouldn't like to say something negative, but I have to say that my presentation wasn't as well as I expected. I think the reasons were that I was sick at the time and I needed more safety nets of my demonstration.)

"Termtter the ultimate twitter client"

Second, I made 5 minutes short talk there.

This slides were made by jugyo. He tried to make presentation, but he was so afraid of his English that he asked me to make it instead. So I did.

LT; photo taken by kakutani

My roommates.

roommates; Photo taken by kakutani

JRubyConf 2009

I also attended JRubyConf 2009 the day after RubyConf 2009. I really wanted to attend all sessions, but I couldn't because my body condition was worst at the time.

1 2

My Personal Impression

Small But Important Events

I went to Engine Yard twice. I went to eat lunch and dinner with great programmers. I talked a lot. I gave some presents to some people, and I got great things by them as well.

rubyspec conf; photo taken by tmaedax

the Last Supper

English

I was surprised to notice that I was starting to feel as comfortable with English as with Japanese. A few years ago, English was kind of cryptic language for me. To use English, I had to think a lot like calculating. I had to think and translate before I could understand what I was listening to.

When I lived in Canada, I didn't notice that I had stopped doing that. Maybe because my improvement was too gradual to be noticed. My one month stay in Japan made me realize this fact.

It's exciting. Even though I still can't speak English fluently or listen to English without having difficulties, but at least, now I don't feel like using English is so difficult.

Transit at Salt Lake City

Links

stanford

2 comments:

  1. That's great! It's awesome to hear that you had a good time. :D

    The fact that you're now not needing to 'calculate' when speaking in English anymore is actually a great sign of progression, and it will really help you further improve your skills. :D 頑張ってよね!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "termtter" talk. But I don't understand "Hacking parse.y" :-(

    ReplyDelete

Followers